Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
1 lb ground beef
¾ cups of bread crumbs
1 large egg, beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1 French baguette
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp. garlic powder
1 pinch salt, or to taste
1 (14 Oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
4 slices provolone cheese
- Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees C).
- In a sizable bowl, mix the bread crumbs, egg, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Use your hands to thoroughly combine the mixture. 12 meatballs made from the mixture should be placed in a baking dish.
- Meatballs should bake for 15 to 20 minutes in a preheated oven to ensure complete cooking. A centerinserted instant-read thermometer should register at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit (71 degrees C).
- Baguette should be cut in half lengthwise and opened like a book while the meatballs are cooking. To create a well for the meatballs, remove and discard some of the interior bread. Olive oil should be applied, and salt and garlic powder should be added. Place the baguette open and with the oiled sides facing up on a baking sheet.
- Place the baguette in the oven and bake it until just lightly toasted five minutes before the meatballs are done.
- In the interim, reheat spaghetti sauce in a pan over medium heat.
- Take the meatballs out of the oven. Transferring them to the hot sauce with a slotted spoon, stir gently to coat with sauce.
- Put meatballs in the well of the baguette and top with sauce on one side. Add slices of provolone cheese on top.
- Re-bake for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- After a brief cooling, cut into 4 sandwiches.