Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hour 5 minutes
Total Time: 3 hour 25 minutes
6 lamb shanks
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
2 onions, chopped
10 cloves garlic, minced
1 (750 milliliter) bottle red wine
1 (28 Oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
1 (10.5 Oz.) can condensed chicken broth
1 (10.5 Oz.) can beef broth
5 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- Lamb shanks should be salted and peppered.
- Over medium-high heat, warm the oil in a sizable, heavy pot or Dutch oven. Cook the shanks in batches for about 8 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Put the shanks on a plate and set them aside.
- For about 10 minutes over medium heat, add the carrots, onions, and garlic to the pot and sauté until golden brown. Add wine, tomatoes, beef or chicken broth, rosemary, and thyme after stirring.
- Return the shanks to the pot and bury them by pressing down. Bring to a boil before lowering the heat to medium-low.
- For about two hours, cover and simmer the meat until it is tender.
- After about 20 minutes of simmering with the lid off, the flavors should have concentrated. Put the shanks on a platter and shield them with foil to keep them warm. For about 15 minutes, keep the sauce boiling until it thickens. Before serving, spoon sauce over the shanks